Over the last few years, beach-themed hairstyles have taken centre stage and is a favourite look of many celebrities and style icons. Surf-inspired hairstyles have evolved from beach waves to mermaid waves and now water waves, each achieving an effortless, beautiful beachy look.
Why use a Salt Spray?
Using a sea salt hair spray naturally texturises the hair and imitates the appearance of an undone tousled look. In addition, salt sprays add body and texture to the hair and help create a flexible hold, ideal for loose and relaxed styles.
Epsom Salt is pure magnesium sulphate with many added benefits, especially for dry and oily hair. Epsom salt can remove oil and build-up, weighing down your hair and creating volume.
Can I use Salt Spray on oily and dry hair?
You can modify this recipe depending on your hair type. As salt absorbs natural oils from the hair, it can dry. If you already have dry hair, add a few drops of ULTRAPURE Laboratories® Almond Oil to the spray. Our sweet Almond Oil will restore moisture to the hair for softer, smoother-looking softer waves. If you have oily hair adding extra oil is not recommended.
Using Both ULTRAPURE Laboratories® Dead Sea Salt and Epsom Salts will help remove oil and build-up, which weighs down hair and, in turn, activates curls. Extra salt may also help to refresh oily hair between washes.
How to achieve the perfect beach wave look?
There are two main ways to achieve beach waves. Depending on how much time you have on your hands and whether you want to use heat on your hair, you can opt for different methods to achieve natural beach waves.
Option A: Overnight beach waves – how to!
- Apply the salt spray to your hair and brush through to add texture and hold.
- Section your hair in two. Depending on your hair’s thickness and desired look, you can make smaller sections.
- Braid your hair before going to bed.
- Take out the braids the following day, add your DIY salt spray to your wavey hair, and scrunch to enhance the waves.
Option B: Heated beach waves
- Apply a heat protectant spray to your hair and brush through.
- Section your hair in three.
- Work in small one-inch sections.
- Using a curling wand or straightener, curl your hair away from your face.
- Leave the ends of your hair straight to achieve a lived-in look.
- Use your DIY salt spray and gently scrunch to add volume and body.